Senate Nominating Committee
Basic Page Sidebar Menu Faculty Senate
The Senate Nominating Committee is a requirement of the Faculty Senate Rules. Its task is to make appointments to the most senior positions of the Faculty Senate. It complements the work of the Senate Committee on Committees.
The Senate Nominating Committee convenes during the spring semester only. Membership is comprised of eight (8) members of the Standing Faculty (including C-E) who are not current SEC members. Those eight members are identified annually by SEC members during the preceding fall semester.
A ninth member of the Nominating Committee is also selected from within SEC. By SEC resolution of May 2015, the current Senate Past Chair is customarily appointed to this position.
The Spring 2019 Senate Nominating Committee was comprised of the following members:
- Nelson Flores, Associate Professor of Education
- Richard Gelles, The Joanne and Raymond Welsh Chair of Child Welfare and Family Violence in the School of Social Policy & Practice, CHAIR
- Michael Golden, Associate Professor of Surgery at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- John MacDonald, Professor of Criminology and Sociology
- Lea Ann Matura, Associate Professor of Nursing
- Andrew Postlewaite, Harry P. Kamen Professor of Economics
- David Rubin, Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Santosh Venkatesh, Professor of Electrical and Systems Engineering, SEC Representative
The Senate Nominating Committee makes appointments of Standing Faculty members to the following positions:
- Senate Chair-Elect
- Senate Committee on Academic Freedom and Responsibility (SCAFR) members
- Senate Committee on the Economic Status of the Faculty (SCESF) members
- Senate Executive Committee Secretary-Elect
- Senate Executive Committee At-Large members
- Senate Executive Committee Assistant Professor members
These appointments are published in Almanac for review. Additional nominations may be submitted by a petition of 25 Standing Faculty members within two weeks of the slate's publication. The most recent slate was published on April 30, 2019.