Senate Committee on Academic Freedom and Responsibility SCAFR
Basic Page Sidebar Menu Faculty Senate
The University recognizes the importance of a system of tenure for faculty members as the preeminent means of fostering and protecting academic freedom in teaching and in scholarly inquiry.
The Senate Committee on Academic Freedom and Responsibility ("SCAFR") consists of nine Standing Faculty members who each serve three-year terms, plus the Faculty Senate Chair-Elect. SCAFR advises and consults with each school faculty's Committee on Academic Freedom and Responsibility ("CAFR") and with administrative officers on the establishment of appropriate procedures to be followed in the event of a claim of violation of academic freedom or responsibility. At the beginning of each year, SCAFR distributes the “Procedural Principles for Handling Complaints Concerning Academic Freedom and Responsibility” to the members of each faculty’s CAFR. SCAFR has the power to make investigations, reports, and recommendations on any matter relating to academic freedom and responsibility within the University.
SCAFR 2023-2024 Membership
- Frederick Dickinson (SAS/History) term ends 2026
- Rebecca Hubbard (PSOM/Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Informatics) term expires 2024
- Raina Merchant (PSOM/Emergency Medicine) term expires 2026, CHAIR
- Abby Reisman (Education) term expires 2026
- Karen Tani (SAS/History) term expires 2026
- Jules van Binsbergen (Wharton) term expires 2025
- Flavia Vitale (PSOM/Neurology) term expires 2024
- Daniel Wodak (SAS/Philosophy) term expires 2024
- Jonathan Zimmerman (Education) term expires 2026
- Ex officio:
- Eric Feldman (Law), Senate Chair-Elect
SCAFR members serve three-year terms, per the Faculty Senate Rules. Terms begin each year on July 1 and conclude on June 30.