Senate Committee on Students and Educational Policy SCSEP
Basic Page Sidebar Menu Faculty Senate
The Senate Committee on Students and Educational Policy ("SCSEP") oversees and advises the Executive Committee on matters relating to the University's policies and procedures on the admission and instruction of students, including academic integrity, admissions policies and administration, evaluation of teaching, examinations and grading, academic experiences, educational opportunities (such as study abroad), student records, disciplinary systems, and the campus environment. In general the Committee deals with the matters covered by the following section of the University's Handbook for Faculty and Academic Administrators: IV.
Specific Charges, 2020-2021
- Assess and Evaluate ways to change University structures, practices, and biases (at the University, school, departmental, and individual levels) that perpetuate systemic racism as they apply to the committee’s general charge.
- Facilitate the changes identified in the previous charge.
- Collaborate with the Senate Ad Hoc Committee on Post-Pandemic Planning at Penn (P4) on matters related to pandemic response and recovery and their effects on student wellbeing.
- Consider any policy and procedural changes to emergency preparedness and other mechanisms implemented to support student wellness throughout the pandemic response.
- Evaluate the efficacy and value added by the rapid shift to online learning, including the long-term impacts on Penn.
- Evaluate the impact of the College Houses and Academic Services (CHAS) pandemic response, and identify ways that the Faculty Senate can provide support.
- Examine the wider set of programs that can address and support student wellbeing (including but not limited to the Sachs Performing Arts Initiative, faith-based initiatives, and community engagement).
SCSEP 2020-2021 Membership
- Huda Fakhreddine (SAS/NELC)
- Sara Jaffee (SAS/Psychology)
- Carol Muller (SAS/Music), CHAIR
- Marilyn Schapira (PSOM/Medicine)
- Mindy Schuster (PSOM/Medicine)
- Krystal Strong (GSE)
- Alan Strudler (Wharton)
- Ex officio:
- William Braham (Weitzman Design), Senate Chair-Elect
- Kathleen Hall Jamieson (Annenberg), Senate Chair
- Anita Summers (Wharton), PASEF non-voting representative