Senate Committee on Faculty Development, Diversity, and Equity SCFDDE
Basic Page Sidebar Menu Faculty Senate
The Senate Committee on Faculty Development, Diversity, and Equity ("SCFDDE") (i) identifies and promotes best practices for faculty development, mentoring and work environment to facilitate faculty success at all career levels; (ii) evaluates and advocates processes for faculty recruitment, promotion, and retention that promote diversity equity, and work/life balance for the faculty; (iii) monitors the status of faculty development, mentoring, diversity and equity; and (iv) issues periodic reports on the activities and findings of the committee that makes recommendations for implementation.
Specific Charges, 2020-2021
SCFDDE recognizes that inclusion does not occur without recognition of existing biases and need for equity on all fronts.
Dismantling Systemic Racism:
- Assess and evaluate ways to change University structures, practices, and biases (at the University, school, departmental, and individual levels) that perpetuate systemic racism.
- Facilitate the changes identified in the previous charge
- Review the application of the University pandemic-related policy on tenure clock extensions to ensure equity and fairness.
- Review each School’s Diversity Action Plan and identify “best practices” to improve each School’s Plan as well as the University’s plan as embodied in its 2024 Inclusion Report (and in the process explore GSE’s internal climate survey as a model for incorporating broad, internal feedback).
- Review the implementation of Interfolio with respect to its effect on diverse faculty recruitment and retention.
SCFDDE 2020-2021 Membership
- Hydar Ali (Dental Medicine)
- Antonella Cianferoni (PSOM/Pediatrics)
- Nelson Flores (GSE)
- Jorge Gálvez (PSOM/Anesthesiology & Critical Care), Chair
- Daniel Gillion (SAS/Political Science)
- Carmen Guerra (PSOM/Medicine)
- Junhyong Kim (SAS/Biology)
- Meghan Lane-Fall (PSOM/Anesthesiology & Critical Care)
- Ken Lum (Weitzman Design)
- Amy Sepinwall (Wharton)
- Ex officio:
- William Braham (Weitzman Design), Senate Chair-Elect
- Kathleen Hall Jamieson (Annenberg), Senate Chair
- Jorge Santiago-Aviles, SEAS/ESE, PASEF non-voting member