Senate Committee on Faculty Development, Diversity, and Equity SCFDDE
Basic Page Sidebar Menu Faculty Senate
The Senate Committee on Faculty Development, Diversity, and Equity ("SCFDDE") (i) identifies and promotes best practices for faculty development, mentoring and work environment to facilitate faculty success at all career levels; (ii) evaluates and advocates processes for faculty recruitment, promotion, and retention that promote diversity equity, and work/life balance for the faculty; (iii) monitors the status of faculty development, mentoring, diversity and equity; and (iv) issues periodic reports on the activities and findings of the committee that makes recommendations for implementation.
Specific Charges, 2021-2022
- Address systemic racism and other forms of inequity by assessing and evaluating ways to change University structures, practices, and biases at the University, school, departmental, and individual levels. Examples include eligibility for leadership roles, differential standards for faculty evaluation based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information,, department-level voting privileges, biases implicit in quantitative methods for evaluating faculty, evaluation of effectiveness of campus mental health and wellness programs.
- Investigate (a) the distribution of Associated Faculty and Academic Support Staff by race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information and (b) the extent to which schools and departments provide clear career paths for faculty in all tracks.
- Investigate the extent to which potential faculty leaders are identified and trained within departments and schools and, if appropriate, recommend ways to improve the processes of identification, training, and support.
- Continue to review school-level Diversity Action Plan and identify “best practices” to improve each School’s Plan and the University’s plan as embodied in its Inclusion Report.
SCFDDE 2021-2022 Membership
- Hydar Ali (Dental Medicine)
- Antonella Cianferoni (PSOM/Pediatrics)
- Nelson Flores (GSE), Chair
- Carmen Guerra (PSOM/Medicine)
- Junhyong Kim (SAS/Biology)
- Meghan Lane-Fall (PSOM/Anesthesiology & Critical Care)
- Ken Lum (Weitzman Design)
- Ex officio:
- A representative of the Senate Tri-Chairs
- Sherrill Adams, Dental Medicine, PASEF non-voting member