Family Medical Leave, Short-Term Disability, and Paid Parental Leave
Leave Administration (FML, STD, PPL)
Basic Page Sidebar Menu Penn Provost
As of July 1, 2019, the way you will apply for Family Medical Leave (FML), Short-Term Disability (STD) and Paid Parental Leave (PPL) is changing. Through Workday, there is a self-service portal to initiate the leave request process. In addition, the University will be working with a third-party partner, Broadspire, to review and approve new leaves.
To apply for FML or PPL leaves log into Workday and follow the steps below:
- Go to the Workday “Time Off and Leave Application”
- Click on “Request Leave of Absence”
- Enter the “Last Day of Work” and the “First Day of Leave”
- This will bring up two additional selections for you to enter, "Estimated Last Day of Leave" and "Leave Type"
- Click on Leave Type “FMLA” and scroll down to locate the type of FMLA leave you are requesting
- Enter any necessary comments and submit your request
- Once the request is submitted, you will receive a notice that will direct you to contact Broadspire – Please note that your request will not be complete until you contact Broadspire and provide them with the required information. Please visit HR's Requesting a Leave of Absence page for the appropriate intake form for your type of leave of absence.
- After July 1, 2019, you will be able to contact Broadspire at 866-357-1122 to continue the submission process.
- Broadspire will determine whether your leave will qualify for STD and will supply you with the appropriate paperwork.
After July 1, 2019, no FML, STD or PPL paperwork should be sent to the FMLA Administrator at the University, or to your department HR administrator.
Any leaves that are in progress as of July 1, 2019 will automatically be transferred to Broadspire. A Broadspire representative will contact you about taking over administration of your leave.
If you are currently on an approved FML or STD Leave, there will be no changes to your approval.
If your request for a FML or STD leave is pending as of July 1, 2019, Broadspire will take over the review process and will communicate a decision to you. Any certification form(s) you had previously submitted to your employer will be shared with Broadspire. Any new certification form(s) you will need to submit as of July 1, 2019 will need to be mailed or faxed to Broadspire at:
Broadspire Services Inc.
PO Box 14773
Lexington, KY 40512
For new leaves, follow the steps above.